WHAT IS LASIK ?
LASIK or Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis is the latest break-through in vision technology that has transformed the lifestyle of spectacle and contact lens users all over the world. It is one of the most practiced laser eye surgeries for correction of refractive errors such as myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism.
This laser vision correction technique is performed on the cornea (Front clear portion of the eye) so that light entering the eye can be focused on the retina. The procedure involves reshaping of the cornea & changing its focusing power to improve the vision.
TYPES OF REFRACTIVE ERRORS LASIK CAN TREAT
1) Myopia (Short-sightedness)
In this condition the eye is longer than normal, causing light rays to focus in front of the retina. Distant objects appear blur, while nearby objects can be clear. LASIK can correct myopia from -0.5 to -13Diopter.
2) Hyperopia (Far-sightedness)
In this condition the eye is shorter than normal, causing light rays to focus behind the retina. Near objects appear blur. LASIK can correct Hyperopia from +0.5 to +5 Diopter.
3) Astigmatism (Cylindrical power)
In this condition the cornea is not perfectly round but oval in shape. Hence eye is unable to focus clearly. It is usually seen along with myopia and hypermetropia.
PREREQUEST FOR LASIK :
1) Age ≥ 18years for girls, ≥ 21 years for boys.
2) No change or change <0.5Diopter in refraction in past 6 months.
3) No eye infections or injuries in past.
4) General health should be good.
5) Normal corneal topography
6) No other eye disorders like dry eye, retinal problems or glaucoma.
7) Discontinue contact lenses for atleast 1-2 weeks prior to testing.
STANDARD LASIK SURGERY:
A standard LASIK involve 3 steps:
STEP 1 :
A flap is created with the help of an automated micro-surgical blade(MICROKERATOME) or with Laser (Femto second). Then the flap is lifted and folded back.
STEP 2 :
Excimer Laser which is pre programmed with customized specific measurements for each eye then reshapes the cornea.
STEP 3 :
The corneal flap is then repositioned and the interface is rinsed.
3 Steps of a standard LASIK
DIFFERENT TYPES OF LASIK
There are 2 different types :
1) Standard LASIK
2) Blade free LASIK
Standard LASIK : In a standard LASIK a suction ring is placed on the eye to prevent the eye from moving. An automated microsurgical Instrument called the micro-keratome is used to create the corneal flap. Rest surgery is similar as in standard LASIK.
Blade Free LASIK : ‘Femtosecond’ LASIK is 100% blade free procedure for those of you who feel hesitant about the surgical blade used in blade LASIK. Advantage of this laser is the precision of the flap with characteristics and dimensions that the surgeon customize for each eye. This is a fully auto-mated technique to create the flap.
CARE TO BE TAKEN AFTER LASIK :
- You should wear protective eye gear to prevent injury and dust in the eye for 15 days.
- Use timely medicines as prescribed.
- Eye checkup as advised.
- Avoid splashing of water directly in the eye for 5-7 days.
- Avoid eye rubbing and eye makeup for 15-20 days.
- Contact sports including swimming should be avoided for 4 weeks.
Most people are comfortable to join work 1-2 days after LASIK but individual variations do occur
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT LASIK
- LASIK is an OPD Out Patient Procedure.
- No hospitalization is required.
- No injection is needed in the eye.
- Time is about 5 minutes per eye.
- It is safe, accurate, painless and has a quick recovery.
Why choose us?
At AGRAWAL EYE HOSPITAL and SANJEEVANI LASIK CENTRE we are equipped with the worlds best LASIK machines the Eximer Alcon EX 400 and FS 200 Femtosecond Laser by Alcon (Blade free laser). We are the only centre in mumbai to have these two machines simultaneously. Feel free to contact us we can help you understand in detail and guide you further about LASIK and other options which is best suited for your needs and requirments. Please feel free to contact us for any further querries or doubts. We are always glad to help you.